Staff Feature - The Importance of Education with María Isabel Silva


Please introduce yourself.
My name is María Isabel Silva, I am a Psychopedagogue of the Infants School at Colegios Pedro De Valdivia. I have worked here for 24 years, since the school was founded in March  1995.

How did you career in Teaching Start?
I received my first professional degree from the Universidad Católica de Chile in 1984 and the beginning of my professional life  was as an Elementary Teacher. After working as an Elementary teacher for 10 years, I realised how wonderful it was  to teach and learn with children. Learn to share their concerns, joys, and appreciate each student as an individual. So, on this path, life gave me the opportunity to continue my studies at University. My goal at this time was to try to support the teaching of children with special  educational needs, so I decided to do a post-graduate degree in Psychopedagogy with a speciality in Special and Differentiated Education.
I have more than thirty years experience in Education and during this time I have seen the changes and challenges that the education sector has faced in Chile and how important it is to give children a quality education. To achieve this goal, permanent improvement is really important. As John Cotton says “If you dare to teach, never stop learning. ”




What does Education mean to you?
It is a process  where  people are provided with essential tools to  put  into practice in their everyday life. It is the basis of the development of all countries and cultures. It is being able to deliver these tools to people who, over the years, will be faced with making important decisions that can change the history of a country.

Please tell us about your passion for pedagogy in Education? 
As part of the Infant’s team I have a real awareness that education in the early stages  of a child’s life are  of vital importance and possibly the most momentous  in people's lives. There is the neuronal development of language; therefore, everything that happens is crucial for both the present and future development of children. 

The new challenges provided  by education have allowed me to develop and implement tools and strategies that allow all students  to have access to education and learning. Also, not forgetting the importance of this experience for them and making it a stage filled with enjoyment and happiness.


The students are at the centre of all my professional work. Their well-being and integral development make me feel extremely committed to my job. Having a great school involves working on the transformation of everyday educational practices; it means changes in teaching methodologies and planning. Happily, I have been working for this institution for more than 20 years, and I still wake up happily every day, excited and thinking about what the day will offer to me.

What is the most important lesson you have learnt through your work?
The most important lesson is that educating children  is a constant challenge. Perhaps what worked to teach a group of students one day, no longer exists or works well for other students. The joy and that is reflected in the faces of each child when they discover that they are truly learning  and the simplicity in how they see life is something we should never loose.




What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Knowing that I can collaborate and support the  teaching work in my school and that this work contributes towards the students learning. It is important that teachers can understand that all children are different and learn differently, and it  depends on our effort and work for them to reach their highest potential.

What is the best thing about working at Colegio Pedro de Valdivia?
The full school community! Teachers like me, have been trying to educate and strengthen their commitment to education for many years and parents recognise and appreciate this work. Above all, seeing the students that I have taught over the years being able to fulfil their own dreams and achieve the goals they had for their own lives.

Comments